- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (about eight)
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (sundried tomato or plain)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil*
- 1 (25 ounce) jar pasta sauce (roasted vegetable or any variety)*
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese*
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Preheat oven with a baking sheet inside to 375°F. Coat eggplant slices with beaten egg, then bread with panko crumbs. Spread oil on hot baking sheet and place eggplant slices on it in a single layer. Bake 15 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes.
Increase oven temperature to 475°F. In an 8 x 10-inch ovenproof dish, layer pasta sauce, then eggplant, and top with cheeses. Repeat, finishing with cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden in spots, about 15 minutes.
Source – Wholefoods